YOU WILL NEED:
For the Chicken Meatballs:
- 3/4 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
For the Soup:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 oz fresh baby spinach
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Gluten-free pasta
NOW TO MAKE THE CHICKEN MEATBALLS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Use a teaspoon or tablespoon to create bite-size meatballs. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
ON TO THE SOUP:
- Put olive oil in a pot over medium to high heat.
- Add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to simmer and add salt and pepper to taste.
- If using gluten-free pasta, cook the pasta in a separate pot according to the pasta’s al dente cooking instructions. We use Delallo orzo and love it! If using conventional pasta, we recommend elbows or any other small-shaped pasta.
- Once the meatballs are done, add them to the soup pot along with the dill and parsley. Cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes more.
- When pasta is done, drain. Add pasta to serving bowls and spoon soup over it.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and enjoy!
WINE PAIRINGS: Since I love wine and talk about it a lot on the blog, I figured I’d offer some wine recommendations to pair with this yummy soup. We love sauvignon blanc with this meal, but pinot grigio would pair well too!