Maintaining the family home is an ongoing challenge, especially for those of us with a busy lifestyle. Parental responsibilities usually come first, and home maintenance does not always get the attention we would like to give it as a result. However, keeping the home in good condition is in many ways the most important responsibility there is when it comes to properly caring for your family.
Fortunately, home maintenance does not always have to be as difficult, time-consuming, and expensive as you might expect. In many cases properly maintaining your home will simply be a matter of implementing measures now that will reduce the amount of effort required in the future, and save time and money in the long term.
Hints and Tips
Here are some things to think about when working out ways to maintain your home with a minimum of cost and effort.
- Open-plan spaces: Larger rooms may seem as though they will require more work to care for, but in reality, open-plan space will often be a lot easier to maintain as you will have a large, single space to clean rather than having to repeat the same cleaning and maintenance tasks over and over again in multiple smaller spaces.
- Minimalist interiors: The best way to complement an open plan space is with a minimalist design. Reducing clutter and keeping surfaces clear makes them much easier to clean and maintain. The less furniture in a room, the easier it will be to regularly clean carpets and rugs, while fewer furniture surfaces will help make dusting easier.
- Think seasonally: It is important to consider the impact that different kinds of weather can have on your home. For example, UV rays from direct sunlight can fade colors on soft furnishings and carpets – particularly darker colors. Similarly, winter brings its own share of hazards and the impact that central heating can have on your furnishings should be considered when placing items in a room relative to radiators.
Day to day chores are, by their very nature, not much fun. Fortunately, all it takes is a bit of planning to streamline these tasks and get through them quickly and efficiently.
- Create a schedule: If you have a schedule that tells you what you need to do and when you need to do it, you will be able to move from task to task in an efficient manner, eliminating the wasted time that would otherwise result from wondering which chore to tackle next.
- Little and often: Short, sharp bursts of housework tend to be far less dull and boring, while also being easier to build in to a daily routine.
- Enlist professional help: Many individuals turn to external sources to carry out chores that can be done far more quickly – and with better results – by experts. In many cases, having professionals take care of larger, specialized jobs such as floor maintenance and carpet cleaning will actually save money in the long run. If you are looking for information about carpet and rug cleaning in Toronto, the Action ChemDry website is a great place to start.
Efficient home maintenance is all about developing good habits and working these into a day-to-day routine; by doing this you can get a huge amount done with a minimal investment of time and effort. This approach to properly maintaining your home is also the best way of saving money in the long-term as minor issues can be dealt with before they escalate into something far more expensive and difficult to resolve.