September is National Better Breakfast Month – did you know that? Since the beginning of time, I have been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives you the nutrients you need to get your day started on the right note – and with the needed energy!
My breakfast consists of an egg-white omelet and an iced coffee with soy or almond milk. It’s small, easy, and fast to scarf down while telling the boys that they need to get their shoes on, brush their hair, find their backpacks, etc.
I do feel more sluggish if I don’t have breakfast – especially on weekdays when I am at the office. It affects my energy levels for sure, but my mood and the rest of the day’s meals.
Here are five great ideas for breakfast when you are on-the-go!
- Toast (gluten-free for me!) with peanut butter and apple slices on top
- Egg Baskets: these you can make ahead of time and have enough for the next few days! Spray a muffin pan with olive oil or a non-stick spray. Pour in the egg whites and any veggies or cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until cooked (about 20 minutes). Separate portions into air-tight containers and voila! They should be good for about 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Yogurt Parfaits: Over the weekend, purchase some of your favorite fruits for this delicious, and fast breakfast idea. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, apples, grapes…you name it. Each morning mix your choice of Greek or regular yogurt up with the fruit, add some granola and there you go! You can also make this the night before, just don’t forget it on the way out!
- Smoothies: For this portable breakfast all you really need is a blender, your favorite frozen fruit (2/3 – 3/4 cup), and yogurt (6 ounces). Pop all ingredients in the blender for about 2 minutes or until smooth. Mix fruits to get a different taste every now and then.
- Granola: You can make your own with your favorite ingredients or purchase pre-made varieties at your local supermarket. Udi’s makes some great gluten-free versions as does Kind and Bakery on Main.
What do you have for breakfast? Please share some recipes in the comments section!