Looking for something super delicious, healthy and gluten-free?! Look no more! Our recipe for grilled artichokes fits the bill.
A bit of history – way back about 2 years ago, I went to dinner with my friend Lauren to celebrate her birthday. As we were perusing the menu, she asked if I wanted to share the grilled artichoke with her. Since I’ve never had artichoke aside from spinach and artichoke dip and the occasional salads my mom would make with artichoke hearts, I agreed. That is where the food-love affair began. When I came home that night I told my husband how great they were and we’ve been making them ever since.
You will need:
- 2 artichokes, the bigger the better
- 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat BBQ to medium-high (or if using charcoal – to direct heat).
- Bring a pot (large enough to fit the artichokes) filled with water to a boil.
- Add salt to the water.
- Cut the lemon in half and add the halves to the water along with the 4 garlic cloves.
- Meanwhile, cut artichokes in half lengthwise. Remove the fuzzy “choke” area with a spoon.
- Cut the tips off of the leaves and place into pot once water is boiling.
- Cook for 12 minutes, until tender.
- Once cooked, remove from water and cool down using cold water or an ice bath.
- Pat artichokes dry with a paper towel.
- Brush olive oil on the cut side.
- Place them on the grill for 5 – 6 minutes, cut side down.
- Remove from grill. Serve with the aioli below and enjoy!
ROASTED TOMATO & RED PEPPER AIOLI:
You will need:
- 1 red pepper, medium
- 4 ounces grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the red pepper and tomatoes on the grill over medium heat, turning occasionally for about 6 – 8 minutes until charred on all sides.
- Remove from heat and place red pepper in a bowl, covered with saran wrap. Wait 5 minutes and then remove the skin from the pepper.
- In a food processor, combine red pepper, tomatoes, garlic, lemon, onion powder, salt, pepper and mayo. Blend until smooth.
- Place in a dipping bowl.
This has to be one of my favorite dishes. You can serve this as an appetizer or part of a meal – and IT’S GLUTEN FREE!
this looks amazing! I haven’t had artichokes in YEARS! and this post may have changed my mind! YUM!
I hope you try it out! Tell me what you think if you do!!
This looks great! I always see this on menus but have never tried it. Perfect time to try new things out on the grill!
Thanks Brittany! It’s definitely worth a try!
This looks amazing! I never grilled artichokes before! Can’t wait to try out.
They are delicious, Abby! I hope you get to try them soon – you will love them!