*I was given these products as part of a TV segment on 4th of July Safety. All opinions are 100% my own.
It amazes me that the 4th of July is in a few days. The 4th is synonymous with getting together with family and friends, eating great BBQ’d food, swimming in the pool and topping the night off with a great fireworks show. After hosting a handful of these soirees, I’ve gathered some important safety tips to ensure a truly HAPPY 4th of July. Here’s my segment and scroll down to get all of the product details!
4th of July BBQ Preparedness
Living in South Florida, we BBQ at least 3 times a week. Whether it’s chicken, hamburgers, or a pizza, we love to grill!
- Before we start cooking, we always make sure the grill grates are nice and clean. You don’t want any of the gunk from your last meal on the grates – that could lead to future stomach aches or even fire. I’m very skeptical to use a chemical-based cleaner, so I was so happy when I came across the Grill Daddy brush. Once you fill it with water and pre-heat the grill, the steam from the Grill Daddy breaks up the grossness on the grates, leaving the BBQ clean and ready to use for your next meal.
- Make sure that your grill is OUTDOORS. I know this may sound obvious, but you never know… Grills are made to be used outdoors, and at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand for that just-in-case moment. You never know and it’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Don’t wear loose clothing when BBQing. A loose piece of clothing could dangle over the grill and possibly catch fire.
- Use cooking utensils with long handles. This will help to reduce any chance of your hands getting too close to the BBQ flame.
- Always keep an eye on the BBQ when its lit, and even when it’s cooling down, especially if there are little ones around.
- Make sure you cook your food fully. Taylor OMG (Oh My Grill – how cute is that name?!) has a wide variety of thermometers to ensure your chicken, pork, hamburgers, steak, etc. are cooked to the proper temperature. They are all super affordable and you can find them easily on Amazon.
I despise mosquitos. They seem to find me anywhere I go – inside and outside. You could only imagine my excitement when I was introduced to Mosquitno bands. Each band is infused with citronella oil – no smelly chemicals or stickiness to worry about – and lasts for approximately 120 hours. At the end of the day, pack it back away into the resealable package and it’ll be ready for the next use. One band should protect your entire body, but if you’d like you can place one on your wrist and one on your ankle. They come in two sizes, small and large, and a bunch of really cool colors – there’s even a tie dye one and glow in the dark one too! It’s a lot easier to get these on my boys than have them squirm around and complain as I spray the gross bug repellant on them and it makes me feel so much better knowing that I’m not placing chemicals on their skin.
I’ll be the first one to admit that I am guilty of forgetting to apply sunblock. I lather up the boys and then something distracts me. Next thing you know, I am sitting in the pool trying to remember if I applied, let alone reapplied! I was introduced to this new form of sunscreen protection by Osmosis. Osmosis Harmonized H2O UV Neutralizer is the first drinkable sunscreen supplement similar in function as an SPF 30 broadband sunscreen lotion. Seriously – you add it to a bottle of water in the AM, hit the pool, maybe take it again around lunchtime as it lasts for about 3 hours, and if you’re still in the sun around 3ish, take another dosage. It protects you from the inside out!
I’d love to hear about any tips you may have when it comes to BBQs and the 4th of July! Looking for fun things to do this 4th? Check out Local Mom Scoop’s 5 Ways to Celebrate July 4th!