If you’re anything like me, you enter the dollar stores and think, “Wow, what great deals!” In some cases that is very true, but be aware of items that aren’t really “a deal.” I am sure most would think the same, but is it really that good of a bargain at the Dollar Store?
- Cleaning items: Bleach and sponges are usually good dollar store deals
- Shampoos: good buy. This article quoted that Consumer Reports stated the only difference between inexpensive, off-brand shampoos and their more expensive cousins is usually the scent
- Greeting Cards
- Spices: $1.00 for basic spices can’t be beaten! You won’t find a huge selection BUT make sure to check the expiration date!
- Packaged and bottled foods: check the expiration date though
- Picture frames: I’ve purchased frames from dollar stores that have been great! You can also paint them a color you like or decorate them
- Halloween and Movie Night Candy
- Seasonal Decorations
- Gift bags
- Toys: I knew this before I even read the article – not a good deal. My experiences with the toys sold in these types of stores are that they are cheaply made (surprise!) and not even worth the dollar you paid.
- Batteries: not a good buy – they usually don’t last as long as the name brand versions
- Medications & vitamins: they may be unregulated and mislabeled
- Paper products, plastic & aluminum wrap: They are not as strong so you are likely to use more than needed.
- Drinks: not competitively priced
- School supplies: better off going to the big box stores and getting them on sale during the back-to-school season or just after
- Pet Food: after all of the pet food scares…go to the national chain stores
- Power cords and strips: often terribly made and can cause more damage to your electronics than they are worth!
- Chewing Gum
I was pretty shocked by the results of what are good deals vs bad deals on items found at the Dollar Store. Have you found any great deals at your local Dollar Store? I’d love to hear!
Great list and you are right batteries are a no go! Had to save this one to Pocket! Thanks Dana:)
Thanks Antonio! There were a few items I had to cross off my dollar store shopping list!
These are great points! I love that the dollar store can have such great deals but I’ve found some of the same things at other stores for even cheaper!!!
Thanks Susannah! It’s hard to keep track what is worth it and what isn’t but it is worth it in the long run!
Shann Eva says
Love this! I always wonder what is really a good deal at dollar stores. I’m going to keep this list with me! Thank you!
Glad it could be of help Shann!! 🙂
Becki S says
I am always pleasantly surprised by the seasonal decor and gift bags, but I can’t stand their wrapping paper!! I’ve never tried their spices, I’ll have to look into that.
Depending on the store, the wrapping paper is hit or miss!
We cautiously tried a girl scout knock off version of cookies from one of the dollar store chains in our area. On the package was a message stating that ALL sales money of that product goes to literacy programs etc. An added plus, so we grabbed a pack. WOW, they were really tasty! I admit it, we buy our cookies from that dollar store chain when we crave cookies.
Nancy, that is an awesome testament to dollar store products! I’ll have to search out those cookies when I go next time!
Pattie Goldenberg says
You are so right! Many things are less expensive or just smarter purchases from a big box store, but Dollar Store is my go-to for cards and gift bags!