Today is the anniversary of the first day that Tootsie Rolls were sold in American candy shops (in 1896)!
Little Known Tootsie Rolls facts:
- Tootsie rolls were the first penny candy to be individually wrapped (Wikipedia)
- This chocolate candy was named after the inventor’s daughter, Clara “Tootsie” Hirshfeld!
- There is an online store for all of your Tootsie needs and wants!
- There are eight varieties! (who would have known!)
- To see how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop…click here!
What ingredients are used to make Tootsie Rolls:
The current U.S. ingredients of a Tootsie Roll are sugar, corn syrup, palm oil, condensed skim milk, cocoa, whey, soy lecithin, and artificial and natural flavors. In 2009, Tootsie Rolls became a certified kosher by the Orthodox Union.
Call me boring but my favorite Tootsie flavor is the original – chocolate. I didn’t know they had this many flavors:
- Green apple
- Blue raspberry
Have you tried any of the flavors? If so, which one is your favorite?