My mom taught me how to make matzo brei years and years ago. Here’s the very simple recipe!
Matzo Brei is not just for Passover, or any Jewish holiday for that matter. It brings back some sweet memories of my vacations spent at my grandparent’s house in Florida. We would spend Spring Break, Jewish holidays, and summer breaks in South Florida and would enjoy matzo brei many times for breakfast (lunch, dinner…).
Want To Know How To Make Matzo Brei?
Spelled matzoh brei, matzah brei, or matzo brei, this recipe is super easy to make. You can use any type of matzoh – in this recipe I use gluten-free matzoh.
Did you know this was Steven Spielberg’s favorite breakfast?
Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom for different variations on this classic recipe.
4 sheets matzo
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
- Break the sheets of matzo into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Fill the bowl of matzo pieces with the boiling water and allow the matzo to soak for at least 30 – 45 seconds.
- Drain the water from the bowl and put aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium to high heat, adding the vegetable oil.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl. Scramble the eggs and then add them to the bowl with the soaked matzo.
I’m quite proud of my one-hand egg cracking technique that my grandma taught me!
- Mix the eggs with the matzoh.
- Once the skillet is super hot, add the mixture.
- Fry until golden on each side.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I like to eat my matzo brei with sugar (probably not the healthiest of options). A lot of my family members and friends enjoy their matzo brei with applesauce, jam, or maple syrup.
MATZO BREI RECIPE VARIATIONS
Some recipes call for browning the soaked matzo before adding the eggs, salt and pepper.
To make a savory version, add chives or consider cooking the matzo in schmaltz (rendered chicken fat).
Other toppings to consider include:
- Cinnamon sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Sautéed onions
Is this the way you learned how to make matzo brei? Which is your favorite way to enjoy it?