I’ve been noticing a few foreign sites under “Referrals” when I review my Google Analytics. The names themselves even sound shady. The four pesky ones I had to deal with today were:
It is very easy to create a filter within Google Analytics to exclude these bots from your reporting, thus giving you more realistic numbers.
- Log into Google Analytics and click on Admin.
- In the left column, click on All Filters.
- Now click on “+ New Filter”.
- Enter in the name of the offensive bot in the field under “Filter Name”.
- Now click on “Custom” as the Filter Type.
- Choose “Campaign Source” beneath “Filter Field”.
- Enter the bot name again in the “Filter Pattern” field and then click “Save” at the bottom of the page.
Voila! It takes about 24 – 48 hours for the filters to kick in, but you should see a difference in your numbers shortly. I hope this helps!