As you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I intended for this post to be more upbeat, showcasing the amazing companies that are donating a portion of their proceeds to a cause that affects more people than we care to know. Here are some facts I came across in my research:
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of death among women.
- Over 220,000 women are estimated to be diagnosed with this terrible disease – with over 40,000 of them passing away.
Those three facts alone make me want to jump out of my seat and help.
Here are some things that you can do:
- Have yourself checked – and more than anything check yourself!
- Join a fundraiser, such as the National Breast Cancer Foundation, to participate in an event such as the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I could list dozens of other fundraisers, walks, and runs that you can participate in to help do your part.
- Become an advocate by helping legislate change – sign up to find out when there is something going on in your local area.
- Donate – even if it is a dollar or two. Every little bit helps! Be sure to do some research and confirm that the philanthropy that you are donating to is legit.
- Purchase items from brands that will donate a portion of their proceeds to breast cancer awareness and finding a cure. Below are some examples of brands that are taking part in it.
These are just a few that I have found – there are dozens! What are you going to do to support breast cancer research?